Thursday, August 18, 2011

Aeromodeller 1952-10


THE little 35 ft. span Polish fighter produced by the Panstwowe Zaklady Lotnieze, the Polish National Aircraft Establishment of pre-war days, was chosen as a subject for free-flight after Mr. Bryant saw the Compcr Swift by D. P. Golding in the February issue. Plans were scaled up from Aircraft of the Fighting Powers with all surfaces to correct scale. Subsequent flight tests found the diminutive tail inadequate, so slight deviation from scale is necessary in tail area. Since March, the prototype has made almost 100 successful flights, and apart from one unfortunate mid-air collision with a sailplane at 50 ft. over the runway at Fairlop, all flights have been made without undue event. The P.24 (full-size) was armed with four 7.7 mm. guns in the wings and fitted with racks for light bombs. Alternatively, two of the guns could be replaced with a pair of 20 mm. cannon. Its top speed of 267 m.p.h. and range of 435 miles hardly compare with performance of the modern interceptor; but as an attractive subject for modelling, it has few rivals among the post war breed. Fitted with a Frog 150 diesel, and with press stud attached silk covered wings, and tail unit, the prototype has already influenced some of designer Bryant's South London Scale clubmates to produce duplicate models. High wing and power loading mean that its flying speed is relatively fast, yet certainly not in the flying brick class. Rather, the extra airspeed adds considerably to its realism in flight.